Celebrate this World Pangolin Day by joining us in exploring the forests and waterfalls of Penawan. Have fun discovering wildlife and enjoying local durian, while contribute to the conservation of our forest.
*Postponed to March 7-8 due to Sarawak’s quarantine restriction, and will celebrate World Wildlife Day as well*
Learn about pangolin and the forest of Penawan
Did you know that the name “pangolin”, is derived from the Malay word “pengguling”, which loosely translates to “something that rolls up”? Celebrate World Pangolin Day and World Wildlife Day come
February March 2020 with our forest ecologist-conservationist at the Penawan Waterfalls Eco-Park. Hike and learn about the ecology of our forest and its resident wildlife like pangolin, help download photos from camera traps, and help plant trees to rehabilitate logged forest. Most importantly, have fun exploring our many waterfalls while supporting the work of this portal and the conservation of Penawan.
Day 1 (
14 or 15 February 7 March 2020)
- 2pm: check-in & welcome drinks
- 3pm: walkabout & orientation, short hike to retrieve camera trap footage, learn about the ecology of lowland forest and the importance of forest to animals – from primary to secondary (logged) forests
- 5pm: free & easy, swim in the river
- 6pm: dinner
- 7pm: short talk – slideshow presentation of photos from camera traps, and learn about the wildlife in Penawan forest, especially on the pangolin
- 8pm: night exploration – short walk for nocturnal animals: birds, frogs, insects, and if you are really lucky, a tree-climbing pangolin!
- 10pm: rest
Day 2 (
15 or 16 February 8 March 2020)
- 7am: breakfast
- 8am: bird-watching and tree-planting, or free & easy (optional waterfall hike, 3- or 10-waterfall, at a fee)
- 11am: lunch
- 1pm: check out and durian sampling in the village!
(timing is only for reference and subject to change according to weather conditions)
14-15 & 15-16 February7-8 March 2020 (feel free to discuss for other option if you have a big group)
- Group size: 4 – 50 people
- Fitness level: Easy – Challenging (if opt for waterfalls hike)
- Trip cost: RM250 per pax (quad-share in longhouse with mattress); please enquire for single supplement
- Deposit: RM100 per pax
- Transport: own 4WD (we can arrange for transfer from-to the junction, and possibly Temburong / KK too, at a fee)
- Includes: All programs, accommodation, and meals stated; local guide fees; interpretation; entrance and conservation fees
- Not included: Transport, insurance, bottled water & beverages, personal tips
- Extension may be arranged before / after this event
(All photos and text by Khoo M.S., unless otherwise stated)