Discover new species of wildlife in Montenegro with the Taxon Expeditions
8-19 July, 2020 Durmitor National Park, Montenegro
You don’t have to be a biologist! Anyone with a heart for nature, biodiversity, and conservation is welcome to join us in Montenegro on an adventure for science! 无论您是不是生物学家，只要有颗热爱大自然及生物多样性的心，我们都欢迎您加入我们在黑山的科学探索行！
Travel to Montenegro and immerse yourself in wild nature while at the same time learning from our experts and discovering new species. The cherry on the top? You get to name them yourself and publish your findings in top-notch scientific journals! Get ready for an adventure of a lifetime!
这是个在黑山的石灰岩生态系统独一无二的体验！Taxon Expeditions 让未受过培训的博物爱好者与分类专家们一起发现，并学习各种分类，命名，和报告新物种的技巧。您将会与专家们一起带着虫网和采集罐进入森林和溪流，带着从未发现过的物种出来自己命名，并可以在顶尖的科学期刊中和专家们一起发表报告。
Durmitor Mt. is a breath-taking limestone massif in Northern Montenegro and part of Durmitor National Park. Formed by glaciers and traversed by rivers and underground streams, it harbors extraordinary biodiversity and includes 50 mountain peaks higher than 2000 m above sea level. This sublime mountain region, clothed in pine forests and fringed by the staggering Tara River Canyon, the second deepest gorge in the world, will impress you forever!
What can you expect 特色:
- Doing real research with real scientists （与真正的科学家进行真正的研究）
- Lectures and hands-on field research （讲座和现场实地调研）
- Discover and name your own new species （发现并为自己发现的新物种命名）
- DNA analysis in the field using nanopore technology （使用新纳米技术在现场进行DNA分析）
- Work in a scientific laboratory （在一个科学实验室里工作）
- Jungle trekking, caving, canopy climbing, night walks, bird-watching and more （丛林徒步，洞穴探险，树冠攀登，夜间探索，观鸟等等）
- The most amazing animals and plants in one of the most bio-diverse hot-spots （在生物多样性超热点之一体验最特别的动植物）
- An unforgettable experience! （一次毕生难忘的体验！）
The expedition costs 3,900 euro per person 此科学探索行程费用为3,900欧元
- 11-night accommodation in Podgorica (first night) and Durmitor National Park （11晚住宿）
- domestic travel (from Podgorica to Durmitor) （在黑山境内的交通）
- delicious local meals, including welcoming dinner in Podgorica（美味的当地美食，包括欢迎晚宴）
- hands-on field research & lab work, including equipment and research materials（实地调研和实验室工作，包括设备和研究）
- lectures and study materials, including a book （讲座和学习资料，包括一本书）
- publishing results in a scientific journal （在科学期刊中发表报告）
Please keep in mind that international travel is not included. 此费用不包括国际旅费。*Terms and Conditions*
Join us now to discover new species of wildlife in Montenegro!
Discounts available for local students, local participants, and members of the media (who will write/report about the experience) 本地学生/人民，和媒体工作者可享有折扣（可撰写/报告/宣传此考查经历者优先）
Rough schedule as follows: 时间表大概如下:
July 8th (Day 1)
- Our journey will begin with a celebratory welcome dinner at 19.00 h in Podgorica, the capital of Montenegro where we can answer any last-minute questions and begin to share with you the specifics of the adventures that lie ahead.
July 8th (Day 2)
- You will be picked up by bus from your hotel in the morning and we will travel from Podgorica to Žabljak (note: costs of transfers both to and from Podgorica are included in your trip fee).
- Arrival at Etno village Šljeme near Žabljak around noon. You will be accommodated in private rooms in bungalows with a mountain view and shared lounge area and bathroom, or in a private room in the main building.
- Afternoon workshop: Winkler sieving and placing pitfall traps in the surrounding forest
- Evening lecture by Dr. Menno Schilthuizen about the concept of Taxon Expeditions and by Dr. Iva Njunjić about Durmitor National Park.
- Evening activity: preparing traps for cave fauna
July 10th (Day 3)
- Morning and afternoon workshops: (i) sampling water mites from a river and spring near Zminje Jezero lake, (ii) sweep netting on Crepulj Poljana meadow; (iii) “Damsels & dragons” on Zminje Jezero lake
- We will also visit the famous Black Lake
- Evening lecture on discovering and describing newspecies by Dr. Menno Schilthuizen
- Evening activity: (i) examining and sorting collected samples in the lab; (ii) general entomology workshop
July 11th (Day 4)
- Morning activity: Birdwatching at Ćurevac – spectacular view of the deepest part of Tara river canyon!
- Morning workshop: (i) “Damsels & dragons” on two glacial lakes, (ii) placing traps and sampling cave fauna
- Afternoon workshop: (i) how to use identification keys, (ii) examining and sorting the material
- Evening lecture about cave biology by Dr. Iva Njunjić
July 12th (Day 5)
- We will go rafting on Tara river and sample several groups of animals (mites, leeches, aquatic snails) along the way, including organisms from so-called interstitial habitats. We will make several stops in the canyon so you will have enough time for swimming, photographing, and enjoying the scenery. Tara river is among the most attractive rivers on the planet. Because of its clear and pure water, opulent vegetation, and wildlife with large number of endemic species, the Tara canyon (the second deepest canyon in the world, after the Grand Canyon) is under protection of UNESCO. You will get full equipment and trained skippers will show you the rowing techniques. We will spend the whole day in the canyon, paddling and sampling. Expect adrenaline and breath-taking nature!
- Evening lecture “Diversity and ecology of water mites” by Dr. Vladimir Pešić
July 13th (Day 6)
- Morning workshop: (i) Sampling cave fauna, (ii) collecting snails on Sedlo; You will participate in cave exploration, sample some remarkable cave animals, and see amazing geological features! Outside the cave we will do some “snailing”.
- Afternoon workshop: (i) examining and sorting material from the cave, (ii) working on the description of new species and making drawings
- Evening lecture: Darwin’s peep show by Dr. Menno Schilthuizen
July 14th (Day 7)
- Morning workshops: (i) sampling water mites and aquatic snails from several springs near Sedlo, (ii) sampling rock-dwelling snails by hand and by sieving.
- Afternoon workshop: (i) picking up the baited traps from the forest and examining the material, (ii) working on the description of new species
- Evening lecture: How to be a TV biologist by Dr. Carin Bondar
July 15th (Day 8)
- We will go on a two-day hiking trip into the heart of the mountain. We will spend the night in a mountain hut located between two stunningly beautiful glacial lakes. It will take us approximately 3.5 h on foot to reach this remote place. Along the way, we will focus on sampling dung beetles, butterflies, and dragonflies. We will prepare our own food for dinner and sleep in shared rooms (you will need a sleeping bag).
- Evening activity: blacklighting
July 16th (Day 9)
- On the second day of our hiking trip, we will sample flower-visiting insects. It will take us approximately 4 h on foot to return to Etno Village Šljeme. You will see the most beautiful part of the mountain, so be prepared for breath-taking geological features, steep cliffs, and wild nature!
- Lecture on DNA analysis in the field by Dr. Massimo Delledonne
July 17th (Day 10)
- Morning workshops: (i) DNA analysis in the field using nanopore technology
- Afternoon workshops: (i) DNA analysis in the field using nanopore technology
- Evening talk: Wild moms by Dr. Carin Bondar
July 18th (Day 11)
- Option I: Full-day hike to the spectacular ice cave in the heart of Durmitor Mt. This cave is well-known for its stalactites and stalagmites made of ice. The temperature inside the cave is below zero degrees and the ice formations are permanent. We recommend you to bring a thick jacket because we will stay inside for a while to search for cave-adapted organisms.
- Option II: We will go to Nevidio (“Unseen”) Canyon – which until as recently as 1965 had remained unexplored. The unique beauty of the gorge, the cascades, the sparkling rapids, and numerous waterfalls are reason enough to visit this incredible jewel of Montenegro. However, our task will be to sample the endemic invertebrates that inhabit this unique place.
- Evening lecture: Darwin comes to Town by Dr. Menno Schilthuizen
July 19th (Day 12)
- Traveling back to Podgorica by bus (included)
Post-Expedition follow up: publishing newly discovered species in scientific journals; update on the DNA results. Sharing photographs & video material.
Excited? Come along on the journey to discover new species of wildlife in Montenegro! BOOK NOW